Referring to the post that started all of this; Dyspeptic Gunsmith says: Mea maxima culpa - and I left my comment up rather than delete the thread (for now) just so I could reply and admit the My Dumb, rather than skulk away cleanly >;-), Question In fact most guides no matter their material cast iron to bronze and often bearing races are installed the same way. In my case I drilled/threaded the metal piece and made a holder with a threaded end. Drift the sights back in from the right side of the barrel. While the rod may heat some by conduction, it wouldn't get hot enough to start the color-forming process. Youre a gunsmith who has a lot of nice guns! Free shipping for many products! I have always wondered about storage in gun soft cases or the foamed Hard cases, and humid or dry, heat and cold. It's worth noting that there can be some additives in motor oil that release hydrocarbons when burnt which is a known carcinogens to the body (in other words: Bad Stuff!). Alternatively, You could store them in a hard case (like a pelican with a purge) and throw some desiccant packs in there as well. A Pocket Sundial From a Broken Pocket Watch! In colloquial use, thin coatings of black oxide are often termed 'gun bluing', while heavier coatings are termed 'black oxide'. This process leaves a deep blue-black finish. After It is hazardous. Wear thick gloves and a face mask before you quench your steel so the water or oil doesnt splash onto your hands. Any gun. DG thank you. "https://www.pinterest.com/theshootingmystery/", Do this outside, so you can do this next part: Just whip the steel wool at arms length to extract the excess acetone. "description": "If you want to find out how to blue stainless steel, then you've come to the right place. on Introduction, looks nice but you are using what is known as heat treatment which will darken steel, not using bluing salts as in gun bluing of rifle barrels all in all very nice instructable, Reply Robert Farago is the former publisher of The Truth About Guns (TTAG). However, rust bluing small areas often match, blend, and wear better than any cold bluing process. Spray down the whole barreled action with copious amounts of WD-40, inside and out. Gee, Im thinkin Duro or cero coat maybe even Krylon might be a good enough.. I use it, oh so cautiously in making my biodiesel. It turns out I have. Wait for 10 15 minutes and then take out the components. 5. Above you can see some example pictures of the colour shades that can be achieved with this techniques.Have fun doing it! "publisher": { I had to sand and restain the stock, and sanded the barrel from 120 down to 400 grit the pitting was so bad. All blued parts still require oiling to prevent rust. Be careful since considerable heat might be generated in the process. The rod was heated and the plate 2" square was inserted and the rod shrunk onto it. Hot NaOH is so alkaline it is great as dissolving organic materials. The higher temperatures of the other processes as well as their caustic nature could weaken the soldered joints and make the gun hazardous to use. the cost of all the tanks you need for rinse & boil-out Oil-free steel wool is also sold by woodworking shops. Just remove the blue/rust, degrease, dry, then blue/card/boil-out/oil/drain. Brilliant blues. I have to finish my M76 and Galil first and buy the materials. Glad that there are folks like you around. Make sure the piece is chemically clean, sandblasting followed by power wire brushing is good then stop heating when you hit purple because the heat will travel. There's also blued hardware available, like nuts, bolts, screws, and hinges. So, you start with a clean gun, in the white, you play a propane torch over the gun to get it to the point where the blueing solution just will readily steam, but barely sizzle, and then you brush on the blueing compound. So basically, youll want the rifle in the vise with the muzzle pointed to your left. How to Blue (Bluing) Steel Using Oven Or Torch and Oil Method OOMAN 2.28K subscribers Subscribe 872 112K views 4 years ago My apologies for the background When heat treating a forged blade you get the whole knife glowing, then submerge just the blade in the oil for 8 seconds. SO, DG; unless I missed it, I am assuming the torch is used separate from heating the tank/ container with the boiling solution. If you cant, just get them out of the case and allow air to circulate around them. "name": "Shooting Mystery", If you have very light, fine pitting, you can polish this out. What I forgot to mention in all of this is a detail that seems mundane, but it critically important: Wear cotton gloves. Haha. For the final step, we let the components cool down in water displacing oil. 4.3 out of 5 stars 242 ratings-30% $12.99 $ 12. After that, slowly and steadily stir the solution in, Step 2: Process the components of the gun, Wait for 10 15 minutes and then take out the components. BUT like so many power tools on guns, it is possible to create expensive screw-ups to fix on guns with power tools, and buffing wheels are no exception. You risk a big fire that is self sustaining by the reaction itself. pliers, mole grips, -An old metal container (I know, a plastic container is pictured but always use a metal one) filled high enough with oil to completely submerge your steel object would be ideal. [ I used Brownells Plum Brown, a product that requires that the barrel be heated to 275 degrees to activate the reaction. This is not necessary as long as you can hold your item appropriately and not cover where it is to be heated. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience :) ). The practice of bluing steel takes time and an exquisite eye for detail. The cotton gloves insulate your fingers from the heated barrel, and they prevent oils from your skin from getting on the raw steel. How to Blue Bluing Steel Using Oven Or Torch and Oil Method. You work on nice guns! Once the steel is clean, you can begin heating it up. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. Thats one way to get dyspeptic to write articles! You can improve your results by doing two things: 1. I found through my bluing adventure that different oils do act slighty different but ultimately everything I've used has done the job. Fill the tank with a suitable amount of water then add in the bluing salt using the correct ratio. Just take them from the comments he posts. 2. For the process your metal should be nicely polished for the best results.The more shinier the polish the more your end result will glow. I can' There can be different layers you have to apply. Then the crucibles would be removed from the furnace and placed over boiling hot water and air would be bubbled through the water and the parts would be dropped into the water. However, the chemicals from the bluing process can accomplish uneven staining on aluminium and polymer parts. It had been thoroughly degreased before my first attempt, but in trying to repair a poor result, I apparently contaminated it a bit. Thoroughly degrease the area to be reblued with acetone. If you need to use a blow torch, focus the flame tip on the area you want hardened. I have in the past few years became more and more. The name of the process actually comes from the blue-black appearance of the black iron oxide. Bluing is often a hobbyist endeavor, and there are many methods of bluing, and continuing debates about the relative efficacy of each method. Only 3 left in stock - order soon. I dont have that much blueing to do in my shop, so I dont use hot salts. LOGIX 20910 Butane Torch, Cooking Torch, Torch for Creme Brulee, Refillable, 9.6 oz, Blue Steel . Ill go into parkerization later this week. What is your opinion of the 2 to 1 lye and potassium nitrate bluing solution? The ideal setup is a pair of long sleeve gloves along with splash goggles and a face mask. I think I was drinking heavily (and likely doing stupid things in my shop with high heat and flammables at the time, possibly while juggling chainsaws) at the time I made that comment - without reading carefully. You will get it. Ventilation is important. These work by depositing a coating of copper selenide on the surface. gas coverage is another big one. Mix equal parts of cream and liquid Brownells Oxpho Blue. Use a steel tool to stir (remember the fumes). That can be a pen torch (pictured), a blow torch, a heat gun, a gas hob (which I am going use) or anything that will provide you with enough heat. This will keep the bluing from adhering to the sharpened edge. Not every manufacturer puts bittering agents in the solution and as one poison control nurse told me: (t)here is nothing you can do and it aint the good death.. The reason I ask is that when you heat steel that is in the white to 600F, you get a brilliant blue all on its own. I believe the change of color is due to a growing thickness of an oxide layer. Please note: As you are working with heat, please be smart, use your common sense, do the bluing process in a well ventilated area and keep a wet towel to hand. The easier of the two methods, hot bluing only requires some degreasing agent, a heating apparatus (a blow torch is perfect for this), and any kind of oil. Large scale industrial hot bluing is often performed using a bluing furnace. Free shipping. Blue Metal Shell 13 in 1 Welding Torch Nozzle Tip Cleaner For Welder Soldering. When everything is set up, put on your protective gear and then get down to business. Before operating your torch, read all instructions so you know how to handle it safely. I saw you reference a coleman stove and propane tank for heating solution. Heat the Steel. "height": "800", you could also heat this size tank with anything from a hibatchi up to a Weber charcoal grill or you could put it on top of a wood-burning stove or even a kitchen stove. I have at least three cold blue solutions in my shop including Oxpho-blue, 44-40 and others. When youre done and have neutralized & washed off the Express Blue #1 solution, you then should spray down the barrel with water-displacing oil. Alternatively. Dont mess with hot salts. Heat the gun parts. Ferrari installs valve seats in their aluminum cylinder heads via robot. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. Thanks for always being so willing to share, Sir. These include hot bluing, cold bluing, niter bluing, and so on. Soft, low-carbon steel was used, but strong materials were needed for the receivers of firearms. Here is a simple way to get a blued finish on steel. Mess. Its essential to keep stirring the tank to prevent the forming of hot and cold areas. When youre using polishing paper, you think that 600 grit is very fine, and it is taking you hours to polish out something to 600. If you tempered the steel with a blow torch, set the metal on an anvil or another large steel surface to conduct the heat. The content is not meant to be a replacement for professional service advice. Cold bluing is not particularly resistant to holster wear, nor does it provide a large degree of rust resistance. Im talking like 90+ minutes to heat the salt bath to 285F. I like 1.5 wide shop cloth myself). Drill bits and gun barrels are common examples. Then wipe off all excess oil and look at your beautiful finished object! Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 13 in 1 Metal Shell Welding Torch Nozzle Tip Cleaner For Welder Soldering at the best online prices at eBay! You wouldnt need salts. Heating up a tank on the kitchen stove. Never know when it will come in handy. My apologies for the background noise in the first half of the video We had compressors running where I ")You're ABSOLUTELY right. Can a softly tempered piece be re-tempered harder without going through the hardening procedure again? Remove the bolt & trigger group this might require a pin punch on some guns to pull the trigger group.From what little I can see in the picture here . "width": "1500", You can then u. se a soft brush to gently remove all the residue of the cleaning solution on the components. With HSS you're looking for 2500-3000rpm, M35 or M42 cobalt bits 3000-3600rpm, and carbide 10k-12krpm. Bluing is also used in seasoning cast-iron cookware, to render it relatively rust-proof and non-stick. 8 years ago Not blessed with a climate controlled safe. When Im polishing on barrels, I polish lengthwise. Dont scrub the solution onto the gun, just run a patch that is not dripping wet down one complete run on the barrel/action in one smooth stroke. Youre just using stump remover to do it. "https://www.facebook.com/Shooting-Mystery-110244180901951", Excellent info. You can make your own desiccant packs with kitty litter (I would recommend the unused variety). It costs an arm and a leg, and you can buy 0000 so cheaply at Wally World that it makes the acetone method worth your while. References Last Updated: May 13, 2022 I want to add rainbow color to safety razor blades that would be used again, how can I do this? this article statement Hardened steel prevents knife blades from dulling and tools from bending and breaking. It is named after the blue-black appearance of the resulting protective finish. The "turning blue" process has nothing to do with hardening of the steel, or its compression. Not only does it give you an alchemical feeling of satisfactionbut it also gives the metal a finish to stop corrosion. Wipe them down with WD-40 on a regular basis. I handed a buddy my wallet and cell phone, and stepped under the safety shower and got wet. It is generally employed on smaller parts such as pins, screws, sights, etc. Dont pour water in to your bath! Ill be saving this for the future. "@type": "Article", This is one of the reasons rust and fume bluing are generally more rust-resistant than other methods. The part that is to race the other is heated normally up to about 220 especially if it is an aluminum casting like a cylinder head. Ive hot salt blued guns in a shop with the proper equipment and you can shove a river of iron through a single hot salt tank in an afternoon. *700F is very close to the heat treatment temperature of some steels. OK, Buffing wheels, which Im making their own break-out response from the blueing salt issue: Buffing wheels are useful things in a gun shop. 2mm wire has a circumference of ~0.25in. Blow torches only heat a small concentrated area. Copyright 2023 Flixsterz. Work on a metal or steel surface, such as an anvil, to avoid any fire hazards. on Introduction. I ended up with some spots where the browning did not take, and a few dull spots, most of which I was able to buff out with steel wool soaked with gun oil. There wasnt a whole lot of pain just yet until my buddy took the safety bottle of vinegar solution used to neutralize the alkaline NaOH salts, and then the pain was there. Stand on end over some paper towels to drain. It is also used by machinists, to protect and beautify tools made for their own use. As I'm bluing round pieces I slowly and evenly rotate the piece over the flame to equally disburse the heat. Just let any residual matter evaporate/dry. Because so many people are trying to do this sort of thing on the cheap, thats when I start thundering in my warnings about safety. Hes claiming that method is more durable than Blue alone. Have proper ventilation and use proper modern safety gear! Then you can express blue it with a propane torch and a tank of boiling water. For the chemical, the bluing solution should be either Oxynate No. This step should be done before heating the steel, as the steel should be quenched immediately after removing from heat. "@context": "http://schema.org/", Also: Do not allow the solution to run, drip or sag. You want 0000 steel wool for carding between coats. The cross section and size of parts affect the outcome of the finish and time it takes to achieve. I'm trying to be positive and constructive, and think this is: for an amateur to stick a very hot torch-heated metal object into a plastic container filled with oil is simply dumb (ok, more polite: "irresponsible") at best, highly dangerous at worst. If cold bluing is the only practical option, the area should be kept oiled to extend the life of the coating as much as possible. Historically, razor blades were often blued steel. Use a smaller toaster oven if your piece of steel fits inside. This item: Special Blue Full Metal Butane Torch (Gold) - Refillable Flame Lighter- Culinary Torch - Welding Torch - Adjustable Dual Flame for Desserts, Creme Brulee, BBQ and Baking. The head is fixtured and and an arm holding the valve seat moves the the proper location. Keep heating the steel until you notice a blue color form on the metal. Contemporary heat-treatable steels did not exist or were in their infancy. You need to constantly be adding in a bit of water to bring the boiling point back down into the range you need. This method was adopted by larger firearm companies for large scale, more economical bluing. You have to apply the bluing fluid. Should something happen, seek medical help right away. Depending on the manufacturers manual, youll have to prepare roughly 6 to 8 tanks to perform the bluing effectively and efficiently. They are still sometimes used by gunsmiths to obtain an authentic finish for a period gun of the time that rust bluing was in vogue, analogous to the use of browning on earlier representative firearm replicas. Ive cut and pasted this to my notes on the cloud. Heat the gun parts. Thanks, 8 years ago you may benefit from the use of a gas lense as well. Reply Are you sure you want to heat the steel to 700F in that early step? Quenching the steel rapidly cools it so the alloys inside harden together. Follow the instructions. If you havent done it before, wait until I mention some items about it. Heat the area you'd like to drill just until it starts to glow red, then allow it to cool slowly. Make sure to check every nook and cranny of the components so that you can find any discoloration or blemishes. Dont touch the metal with your bare hands since it could cause severe burns. The ideal setup is a pair of long sleeve gloves along with splash goggles and a face mask. 1. I rarely use them. Fill a heat-safe container with water or oil deep enough to submerge your steel. 3D Printed Futuristic Space Age Wall Clock. Next, suspend the components in a cleaning solution tank to get rid of dirt, oil, grease, and crud. Dang it all. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. You should put the brass drift (which you can make out of a piece of brass rod about 1/4 in diameter) on the sight base, and then start tapping the end of the drift with a small hammer. You can reassemble the gun after. Brownells has steel tanks, and there are some steel/stainless long/thin tanks available from other sources. It is a difficult product to apply evenly, offers minimal protection and is generally best used for small fast repair jobs and touch-ups.[2][3]. Once you see it turn golden, the process has started and colours will change fairly quickly! Use a coffee can or similarly shaped container as your quenching chamber. At 700, you start losing your blues and the steel starts becoming a wispy silvery-blue, not a dark brilliant blue. You can make a Caustic Soda KNO3 water bath: 65% Lye (aka sodium hydroxide) Sorry for the misunderstanding. You can get a IR non-contact thermometer for less than $20 at Harbor Freight. The hot washing soda tank typically used in gunsmith shops is caustic washing soda, and if you leave the gun in long enough, youll start to see corrosion on the gun before you get to the blueing step. Many older browning and bluing formulas are based on corrosive solutions (necessary to cause metal to rust), and often contain cyanide or mercury salts solutions that are especially toxic to humans. http://cdn.spectrumbrands.com/~/media/Spectracide/Files/MSDS/SpectracideStumpRemoverGranulesSDSApr15.ashx. For this reason, it is considered not to add any appreciable thickness to precisely-machined gun parts. This heating forms the blue on the plate. Learn more Steel is a common durable alloy, and while most steel used in tools is already tough, you can harden it even more to prevent wear and tear. I tried heating the barrel in sections (as Brownells says is ok) but did not get a very good result, being unable to get a uniform heat in any =thing approaching more than a few inches at a time. 3 years ago They have their place, but doing a whole gun with them isnt that place. On another thread, we can go into nitre blueing, which is basically heating pins/screws/bits/bobs to 600F in a molten salt bath. WebBluing is a passivation process in which steel is partially protected against rust using a black oxide coating. You'll probably be fine following these instructions - you'll probably be OK driving home a little drunk, too. They should send you a stipend for your time. Try it on some unimportant pieces first. You can experiment ultimately what oils to use. The process was to coat the gun parts in an acid solution, let the parts rust uniformly, then immerse the parts in boiling water to convert the red oxide Fe2O3 to black oxide Fe3O4, which forms a more protective, stable coating than the red oxide; the boiling water also removes any remaining residue from the applied acid solution (often nitric acid and hydrochloric acid diluted in water). Use a backing block of wood or even a Pink Pearl rubber eraser. 5 years ago, I found that heating will turn steel silver ~> gold ~> violet ~> blue. Safety notes: Dont use an aluminum pan. Now securely hold your piece with whatever you have chosen. I have done a cold blue on a very rusted .22 for a friend. Then you have to heat the metal. Commercial products are widely sold in small bottles for cold bluing firearms, and these products are primarily used by individual gun owners for implementing small touch-ups to a gun's finish, to prevent a small scratch from becoming a major source of rust on a gun over time.

Crowley Texas Arrests, Dr Michael Klaper Acid Reflux, Horizon Forbidden West Legendary Coils, The Cottages At Tucson Resident Portal, Grazing Land To Rent North Yorkshire, Articles B

bluing steel with a torch

bluing steel with a torch