What are your views on the work of Hugh Nibley? From your perspective, what are the 3-5 best pieces of evidence for the historicity of the bom? In Part 2, Brent describes working for and with Steve Christensen and Mark Hofmann, the Salamander Letter episode, and the bombings that took the lives of Steve and Kathy Sheets. This theory is now well accepted in academia. Brent, thank you so much for doing this interview! Brent is a fascinating interview for Mormon Stories for many reasons, including: He knew forger and bomber Mark Hofmann personally. Brent did Jerald make an official overture to church leadership regarding Hofmann being a fraud? ), systematically undermining Church teachings on the law of chastity and the . What was the arrangement and the special business relationship Steven had with the Church in this regard? On acquiring a PhD, after a year of university, apart from a lack of finances, I quickly noticed that the degree factory isnt a reflection on ones intelligence. Thanks for the clarification, Brent. I was with one of his relatives the day he was charged with the bombings, and she was totally shocked & absolutely certain he had nothing to do with it. Lex, you might be interested in the work of Lance Owens. A man with boldness of speech, and is often cited by members as one of the favourite apostles to hear from. I was only 8 when Steve died, so I just remember his smiling face and that everyone, especially my parents, just loved him. We also talk about the concept of translation, Joseph Smiths views on his translations, the traditional apologetic responses concerning the Book of Abraham (Hugh Nibley, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlestein), as well as the LDS Churchs recent essay on the Book of Abraham. Twitter. Thank you for sharing it with me. If you were to write a book, what aspects of the Hofmann story would you focus on? Dave, Ive planned on publishing a book for years; but Ive decided to publish a series of articles first that the book will build upon. What are your views on how the Book of Mormon was created? Copyright 2005 - 2023 | Mormon Stories. Does your wife and/or children? Should have added one more minor thing. Brent had some trouble remembering the details of the events (so did I, and I wasnt there, although I read all of the relevant literature at the time), but I think this is a very good summing up by Jerald Tanner, Confessions of a White Salamander: https://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/trackingconfessions1.htm. Liked by Brent Metcalfe Experience Practice Lead - Mergers and Acquisitions/Investment Group and Consultant Backswath Management Sep 2022 - Present6 months Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Seeking New. How have things changed over the decades? But such intellectual issues didnt play a role in my failure of faith. See the next John Whitmer Historical Association Journal for one of my essays. There is a newish movement who rejects that the book of mormon ever occurred in South America. The insight into the many corners of Mormonism important to us here was delicious. The Book of Abraham? Growing up I only had positive interactions with his beautiful wife and kids. Truth or legend? Azerbaijan's Jabrayil Hasanov in action against The USA's Brent Metcalf. When Brent Metcalfe compiled a book of essays last year suggesting that Mormonism's founding scripture wasn't the ancient history it purports to be, he expected some criticism. Definitely one of my top 10 favorite stories on here. Seventh East Press. 2 Introduction at court. [9] According to Metcalfe, he had written a letter to LDS Church leader Gordon B. Hinckley, disputing the grounds for his termination. The Gift of the Mormon Faith Crisis Podcast. The second half was fascinating thank you, thank you, thank you for this podcast! I discovered New Approaches to the Book of Mormon back in 2002-03. Ive always wondered why the most ardently orthodox and pious seem to have the least faith in the divinity and omnipotence of the Lords plan. african american gastroenterologist near me; district 36 lofts; how to turn off scan text on iphone 12 Let me clarify. :-) I really R E A L L Y loved the podcast, and will listen to it all again today. Roger that. Why didnt the Lord reveal to the prophet that the documents were forged? Who does he think the last bomb was meant for? Very informative. I especially connected with his comments on ADD. Azerbaijan's Jabrayil Hasanov in action against The USA's Brent Metcalf. 497: Brent Metcalfe Part 3 -- After the Hofmann bombings and his excommunication (Podcast Episode 2014) on IMDb: Movies, TV, Celebs, and more. What do you think about the DCP/Hamblin FARMS implosion? The 7th East Press is one of the great university newspapers; truly the stars aligned when this group got together. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Metcalf served as the National Freestyle Developmental Coach prior to . For the listeners who are curious, a portion of the book describes a first vision, copied below: https://play.google.com/books/reader?printsec=frontcover&output=reader&id=XH0rAAAAYAAJ&pg=GBS.PA54, The Lamb once slain appeared to my understanding, and while viewing him, I felt such love to him as I never felt to anything earthly. She has become the matron saint of Mormon studies (that's a promotion from her previous role as the den mother of Mormon studies). As I went towards the house, this thought came into my mind, why do I feel so different from what I did a short time past : I am unspeakably happy and shall never see trouble again.. Also, I appreciate you bringing up ADD. My application of Vatican II was specifically intended for the work of Catholic biblical scholars, not Catholicism in toto. Doxey denied asking about Metcalfe. Brent Metcalfe is definitely one of my favorite interviewees ever on Mormon Stories Podcast. We should also mention that he has since been a key speaker at a conference hosted by Ex-Mormon Foundation and has given several interviews where he has detailed his lifes ups and downs. Listening now- so far, I like the new intro lots! I suppose the precedent was set by Joseph himself in burning down the Nauvoo Expositor because he didnt like the content, and labelled it anti Mormonit wasnt even, William Law was a believer, who could no longer take Josephs hypocrisy. Those mind-opening essays impacted my life in positive and powerful ways. Or at least, Lets Take this Puppy Down.. Its great to find all this background information. I do remember after my baptismal interview having a strong feeling of love and admiration for him because someone so respected thought I was special too. The lengthy, five-part series covers Metcalfes childhood in Mormonism, his mission, his time []. Brent Metcalf Resides in Modesto, CA Includes Address (1) Phone (1) See Results Statistics for all 3 Brent Metcalf results: 50 yrs AVERAGE AGE 100% are in their 50s, while the average age is 50. When?? Two more parts (3 & 4) to come. These other people that had experiences dont seem to have a similar backlash evident. Im sure this applies to other beliefs as well. Im not sure why I would have been hesitant to answer the question during the interview since Ive addressed it numerous timesIll have to go back and listen. They use evidences such as paintings from the 1600s showing native americans using temple signs/tokens, apparent cuneiform writings being discovered that spell Yod Hey Va, and that the Hopewell/Adena Indians are the Nephites/Jaredites. Will there be more? In his response, he controversially included an encrypted message spelling out "Metcalfe is Butthead." What an amazing life Brent! Were they watching us? I appreciate the details of Brents experience. Brent Metcalf, age 31, Kingsport, TN Lived in: Greeneville TN, Elizabethton TN, Louisville TN Relatives: Terri Treadway, Kathy Edens, Douglas Metcalf View full report Brent E Metcalf, age 39, Semmes, AL Lived in: Wilmer AL, Theodore AL Relatives: Beverly Metcalf, Thomas Metcalf, Thomas Metcalf View full report Released: Sep 13, 2014 Format: Podcast episode Oh, that would be great! Salamander: The story of the Mormon forgery murders. [4], In 1993 Metcalfe organized a group of scholars to publish a series of essays that sought to apply techniques of higher criticism to the Book of Mormon. This is what led me here! All rights reserved. Since unit growth of the church is now in decline and growing slower than U.S. and world population growth, how do you see the future of the church and its doctrines? If so, what will be the subject? His contributions, reflections, thoughts and insights represent some of the most important contributions in the history of not just Mormon Stories, but Mormonism in general. Now, in the wake of 200 years of such scholarship, the Bible doesnt hold up much better than the Book of Mormon. It is important that we be critical thinkers and examine the sources providing information, in the same way we would want to know the credentials of someone dispensing medical advice, car repair advice etc. [] author and editor of numerous articles and two Signature Books titles, was interviewed by John Dehlin for the Mormon Stories podcast recently. I may have a chance to look for it next week, but Im not promising anything. She was in the middle of her frustrations with the MTC (and some of you know the story). My examples are numerous and heart breaking. Riveting stuff. What an amazing story that Brent was a participant. 2023 Cinemaholic Inc. All rights reserved. He is their emotional support and Sue's constant companion, her voice, advocate and her angel. Oh. Brent Metcalfe is definitely one of my favorite interviewees ever on Mormon Stories Podcast. Netflixs Murder Among the Mormons is a limited series that profiles the exploits of Mark Hofmann, who planned and executed a deadly event in Salt Lake City, Utah, that left the Latter-day Saints Church shaken to its very core. I hope you consider doing this. And you are an example. My life has been enriched by theinquiries those books catalyzed. I., **My question is if Brent could provide a copy of the parallels between Elias Snow and Joseph Smith that Wilford Paulson (former BYU professor)inserted into the book. A member of the LDS Church reports he was excommunicated for apostasy on February 2nd, 2013. [4] His supervisor removed the probation, but on April 8 Metcalfe's employment was terminated. Unfortunately, much of the middle portion of the interview was lost due to technical issues that were only discovered after we completed the interview. We may be on our own and need to create our own justice and future, but its possible that Providence does in fact sometimes intervene. In these two episodes we discuss: The aftermath of the Mark Hofmann bombings, and Brent's excommunication for his research into the Book of Mormon, and Brent's review of challenges to traditional approaches to the Book of Mormon. what happens if i ignore a ccj; Don't miss. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. And I went through a very long phase of just wishing that I had never been born. Unintended consequences here we come! He had not let on that the 7th East Press was his brainchild. Brent Lee Metcalfe is an independent researcher and writer of the Latter Day Saint Movement. Very cool, any personal stories youd like to share? This unleashed a veritable deluge of Catholic contributions to modern biblical scholarship. So, so good. Why didnt Mr. Metcalfe publish his long-anticipated book disproving the Book of Abraham? Before Mark Hoffman was exposed as a forger, was there anything that made you wonder how he managed to make so many great finds? The weaker the church gets the better it gets and when it is completely impotent and ceases to exist it will be the best it can ever be. 515-294-6532. but he threw out the baby with the bath water as if the success of Christianity rode on the success of Joseph Smith.. You are hesitant to answer no evil speaking on what you cant say right ;). Ive heard there might. And great questions John. He has already saved her from choking on several occasions. Hearing Brent break down the Hoffman timeline and story was amazing. @BHMetcalf. In 1539 he was elected as an MP for the rst time and was appointed to serve in the King's Privy Chamber. Unresolved: Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. Cultural Context Preceding the Book of Mormon. Why have you distanced yourself from actively publishing and engaging topics on forums as you did in years past? But Brent seems to do just the opposite. Some people who study and read deeply can be more expert than others with advanced degrees. We were not suppose to discuss the Temple, Blacks and Priesthood, and of course definitely not curtain parts of the church history such as polygamy and polyandry. LDS was newly brought to her by a missionary before me. Many years later in his interview with Dehlin, Brent Metcalfe tells of a conversation that he had with Mark E. Peterson where he plainly admits he was lying in his book. A question for Brent, What are your thoughts on your research of the book of Abraham? brent metcalfe excommunicatedperpetual futures binance. There was an overall feeling that he just had it together. So cool that you provided some of the research used by Michael Quinn. He has also served in the United States Air Force (Air National Guard) since 2004. Jerald articulated his concerns in one of his ministrys publications. Thanks so much for posting this. Now, along with all of the other historical and literary problems, including DNA evidence, we are suppose to accept it on feelings and the spirit.like all religions do with their own faiths.and be excited about sharing this book with our friends! Hofmann really believed he could pull it all off, and maybe it wasnt just the police who thwarted his scheme? Heres a link to the Deseret News write up on the presentation: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865608559/BYU-professor-speaks-on-unnoticed-assumptions-about-the-Book-of-Abraham.html. I have heard that Mac Christianson financed the mission of one of Hofmanns sons. And am I the only one who likes the older music better? Until Vatican II, many scholars felt hamstrung by the churchs dogma on the Bible and related theological issues. Andrew, Joseph Smith dictated the story of princess Katumin and her regal father Onitas to his scribes Oliver Cowdery and William W. Phelps, who recorded the tale in two small notebooks. Contributions. In 1994, Professor David Wright of Brandeis University and editor Brent Metcalf were excommunicated for their scripture studies in New Approaches to the Book of Mormon: Explorations in Critical Methodology In 1995, author Janice Allred was excommunicated for her writings about Mother in Heaven. I have some insights into that. This is one of my all-time favorites. Im sure there is a very good possibility that COB personnel would have been more suspect of Jerald, and any information he offered, than Hofmann. Cookie Notice Steve Christiansen was my bishop in that centerville ward and I grew up with his children. All it is is a continuation of the pain, Brent further added. Brent did a marvelous job of creating a context by which these events took place. I just shook my head to hear the tale of the magisterium giving you the boot, Brent. Excellent question. If I applied Vatican II to the full breadth of Catholicism, I clearly misspoke (Im not even sure why I would make such a sweeping claim, so I am a tad mystified). I was hoping you would have spoken more about the Book of Mormon and Abraham. Visit with the Skabelund family, 9:30-10:30 am,. They have proven time and time again that that is all they care about. SALT LAKE CITY Egyptologist Ed Ashment sympathizes with Washington anthropologist for now has escaped excommunication from the LDS Church. The October 1985 bombings that killed two individuals and severely injured another was initially assumed to be related to a financial business. Other early-19thC religionists were even more literal in their descriptions. Once you start to deconstruct Mormonism, the next step is Christianity, and then the existence of a god, or not There are plenty of stops along that road to hang your hat, but the fastest growing belief system around the existence of god, is atheism. As for the photocopy of Wilford Poulsons parallel, yes, I still have it in one of hundreds of boxes in a storage unit while my house is being remodeled. And Im speaking as a believer- in the very traditional sense- in the Christian interpretation of the world. Brent has become one of the foremost scholars in understanding the Book of Abraham. Wouldnt it have been more humorous to wait until *after* the issue was mailed out before bringing the Metcalfe is Butthead acrostic to the attention of FARMS authorities? But those were interesting times! It was so amazing to hear another person explain nearly my identical experience. All things praised God with me. Brent, "The Mormon murders: A true story of greed, forgery, deceit, and death." Would a hypothesis like that hold any water? But it has not always been that way or worked in his favor. What has Brent done to mitigate his ADD? I sensed a full range of colors in the photo that is this interview. It instead discusses the fact that the LDS Church keeps some documents secret. Maxine Hanks was also in my ward. Do as I say and not as I do. This was something I surmised most of my adult life. D&C 76:2021). I am so grateful I stumbled across them along with D. Michael Quinns books wow now 20 years ago. You know, guilt by association. The irony is, I wasnt an activist for anything, I simply wanted to write. Little trace of Morison survives for much of the early 1540s, but it is clear that he built up his landed base and attached himself to . Its very sunny in London today and Ive listened too all eleven hours of this interview. Really, such a great family. Is having spiritual experiences while doing what some may view as critical research on the Book, when you know there may be opposing views to your work, grounds for also having these feelings? The gift of your ADHD shines. Yeah for Signature Books, Matt Christensen, and the internet!!!!! I always enjoyed our discussions years ago about your love for the Indians in your mission and then your experience doing research with their culture and you feelings towards the Book of Mormon.

Kobe Bryant House Pelican Crest, How To Take Things Slow After A Breakup, Stiff Little Fingers Tour 2022, Articles B

brent metcalfe excommunicated

brent metcalfe excommunicated