I don't remember ever trying a different bullet but I might have. My experience shows, generally speaking, the faster-burn-rate choices work better with bullets weighing up to 60 grains. H4198. The most accurate load I use for both of my bolt rifles (1/12 & 1/9 twist) is 20-21gr. The only draw back is the V-Max 53's need a 1-9 or 1-10 to shoot accurately in the 223s'. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. Maybe you'll have no issues but lot's do with 4198 powders in AR's. Damn, I wish I knew what bullet he loaded as he can't remember the brand. 5 IMR 4198. I think I got it for 45-70 but never used it. ONE IS JESUS CHRIST, FOR YOUR SOUL, AND THE OTHER IS THE AMERICAN SOLDIER, FOR YOUR FREEDOM. We place limited powder inventory for sale on a regular basis on our website. soft-point bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1970 f.p.s., but it has improved through the decades with better bullets and increased velocities. 0000014444 00000 n Some of his best results were with handloads measuring up to 2.320 inches. The case was based on a lengthened .222 Remington that offered powder capacity and velocity increases. Kimber's Hunter Pro Desolve Blak takes the firm's more affordable mountain rifle to new heights. I use IMR 4198 with Sierra Matching 69 gr with very good results. Some report that it takes maximum charges to make their AR's extract and pick up the next round from the magazine. Stick powders that meter like ball. You must log in or register to reply here. 3298 do you have a reloading book? 0000001516 00000 n Location and size of the port has a direct effect. (Arabic) etina (Czech) Dansk (Danish) Deutsch (German) English (English) Espaol (Spanish) Don, funny you would mention the 788. All Rights Reserved. Is there any milsurp IMR8208 around anymore? I like these loads for shooting hogs out to 200 yards, these are head shots. But as you probably require many rounds being made for your up coming event. More about them later. of muzzle energy and really puts the Hornady Leverevoltion to shame. Any use of this content without express written consent is prohibited. My pacific Rifle powder measure'r doesn't seem to mind metering it. You are using an out of date browser. 0000010535 00000 n Never have used that powder in much of anything. Next, remove the residual rim of brass around the pocket. HVr+S&A(U#`H `hP{z#^\EL9O$$EAL2e|j p,~E3w?#' My AR is a 16" Bushmaster M4 chambered in 5.56. One thing I will say is that I had someone try to reload 223 in my press one time that had been shot through a suppressed AR and even after sizing/depriming the case would spring back into a larger shape and would end up not chambering. All these have offered complete penetration on broadside shots. Have found it to be pretty accurate in my Rem model 7. I really liked this load. 0000005092 00000 n In my opinion H-4198 or IMR 4198 either are good choices. Google" port pressure ar15" Location and size of the port has a direct effect. IMR POWDER 4198 8LB. Nickel size+/- 5 shot groups at 100yds. Great for small and large-bore rifle shooters; Exceptional performance in cartridges like the .222 Remington, .221 Fireball, .45-70, .450 Marlin, and the 7.62 x 39 . When loading ammunition to be used in the field, and fired in a variety of actions and rifle types, I prefer a crimp to keep bullets in place. Powders include IMR 0000002396 00000 n Only trial and error can teach you just how much force is required to cleanly chamfer the pocket lip and not cut away too much of the case material. IMR 4198 has been my .223 powder since about 1981. Used to be very popular in .221 FB, .222, and .223. H4198 is outstanding in cartridges like the 222 Remington . 3177 fps from my bolt gun. 25a - Remington model 48C, 22 cal rifle Remington model 48C, bolt action, 22 Cal rifle with clip 26 - 12 ga Bolt Action Model 583.20 JC Higgins 27 - Winchester Single Shot, Model 37, 20 ga 27a - Winchester model 50 20ga. Sierra lists 21.8 gr maximum of IMR4198, for there 55 gr bullets, fired in a Colt 20" barrel Ar15. Single-metal bullets. 223 using Hornady bulk 55gr FMJ boat tail bullets over Hodgdon CFE223 or IMR 4198. Military Rifles AR-15 (.223) loads. Clean and inspect the cases, lube and full-length resize/decap, clean, and inspect them again. . Hence, many call it the best powder for reloading 223. I ended up giving 7.5 pounds to a friend. Using this powder with .223 caliber has yielded great results. Dont know about the Canada made or the. I am new to reloading the .223 round. Buy Powder - IMR 4198 - 1lb: GunBroker is the largest seller of Reloading Supplies Ammunition Reloading All: 973169941. . One of the three most accurate rifles I ever owned. I loaded ammunition with a variety of bullets, including the Hornady 55- and 60-grain Spire Points (w/o cannelure), 55-grain GMX, Nosler 60-grain Partition, 55-grain Trophy Bonded and Barnes 50-, 53- and 55-grain Triple-Shock X-Bullet, with each producing excellent results. As I recall the AR-15 had a 1-9 tist and the 55gr FMJ was the bullet used. Powder: IMR 4198 36.0 grains Primer: CCI 200 AOL 2.650 I shot some of these this week, and I had three five shot groups all . This combination has proven to be very good from a number of rifles, not only mine. Have tried 4198. shooting my 38-55 with lead bullets, 255 gr. Can't go wrong. A friend gave me a little over 100 rounds of loaded .223. The list of match bullets is extensive, typically ranging in weight from 52 to 75 grains (even 80- to 90-grain bullets requiring a faster-twist rate than discussed here). Albert Einstein". H4198 worked better than the CFE BLK and would be a good second choice in powder for the 125 gr. Tips, techniques, and equipment are applied to these classroom discussions on how to become more proficient and successful at making long-range shots while hunting with AR-platform rifles. The Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just about any task. Who knows. If just a pound , I'd give up on it and just get some H-335 and never look back . 50 gr. If you wanted a longer range varmint load use the 53 V-max and 8208. I just cant find a load start/max charge and velocity and OAL for it. 4198 produces very accurate ammunition in the .223 (and .222) for 55 grain bullets and lighter. Seems that most don't like it because of the problems with their powder measures - not because of accuracy issues. IMR4198 or H-4198 8208 is also good.. at or near max loads. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Development of the .223 Remington began in 1957, and it became commercially available in January 1964, about a month prior to U.S. military adoption of its twin cartridge Cartridge, 5.56mm Ball, M193 for the AR-15/M16 rifle. 223 Rem 55g Vmax; Varget & IMR 4198 16,412 views Jan 6, 2018 153 Dislike Share 243 Outdoors 8.13K subscribers Testing some 55g V-Max handloads in the 223 Savage Axis. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. xHXY%p m^_l +me} C'~af,[sgP The load data says a min of 18.8 grains up to a maximum of 20.4. Depending on the pressure curve generated when firing a round, an AR may or may not function satisfactorily. This combination has proven to be very good from a number of rifles, not only mine. In the years since, twist rates in AR rifles intended primarily for civilian sales have also been offered with 1:8 and 1:9 twist rates, with some specialty rifles featuring a 1:6.5 twist to stabilize match bullets weighing up to 90 grains. The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Edit Product. RL15 also meters well, I bought an 8lb jug of 4198 a couple years ago to do some volume loading. Old Dupont IMR 4198 can be loaded to 21.5 gr with 55gr bullets. I use 4198 and find it to be a reasonable powder for my application of it in the 55 gr. It is our mission to encourage, organize, and support these efforts throughout Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. I say gave because he never paid me, LOL. I have only shot 4198 in bolt guns, but there is no reason the ammunition would not work well in ARs. The bolt-action design affords the handloader a bit more latitude in powder selection than a gas-operated system. CFE 223. I tried AA 5744 and Hodgdon 322 under Hornady 300gr JHP and just couldn't get decent groupings consistently, despite hand weighing every charge. 0000021151 00000 n Brand: Savage. IMR4198 is used by a lot of cast bullet shooters, loads are in many of the manuals. 4198 works fine for 223, it's just not a great choice for an AR. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 223 Rem 243 Win 25-06 Rem 260 Rem 270 Win . . What the heck, the load isn't hot so I'll try it. The Sierra data seems more on line with what I have seen elsewhere, so I will start with their min. I shot a lot of it in .222 back in the '70s before I graduated to .22-250. Some of the gas is divertedbefore the bullet exits the barrelto actuate a piston, carrier, or operating rod. As I only reload what I shoot. The Lee Factory Crimp die also works very well and provides a reasonably uniform crimp, even when using cases that are not all exactly the same length. Re. If ammunition is to be used in extremely cold temperatures, a magnum primer is suggested, especially when using spherical powders. Sierra lists different maximums between bolt & autos. If so you can check that by using it. April 17th, 2019 - Imr 4198 Powder Reloading Data I can find load data with 25 gr Hornady s using IMR 4198 but nothing with 20 N120 is one of the suggested 17 Hornet powders in the latest Hornady manual A few test loads for the 458 SOCOM using IMR 4198 Powder and 300 grain this load data There are two options for acquiring data on the Hodgdon . You guys and gals have thrown a lot of information my way. 0000001760 00000 n windshield wiper broke off while driving. And, fortunately, nobody can work the bolt fast enough to extract the case while theres residual pressure in the barrel. I don't like how Hornady splits up the 223/5. However, it is all I have at the moment. Occasionally, I have experimented with varying bulletseating depth to achieve better groups in my bolt actions, but the really short throat of the 223 Rem. It is important to mention that the 5.56 NATO is not fully interchangeable with the .223 Remington. riflesa CZ 527 bolt action and a Sun Devil SD-15 autoloaderto use for this report, and I built a lot of handloads to shoot in both guns. Oh so that's the twist 1 in 8. Burns consistently and clean. Most other manufacturers list it only up to 52 grain bullets. There is a big difference between a 20-24" bolt gun and a 16" carbine. Nonetheless, their average water capacity was almost the same as the combined average of the weighed commercial brass. Shoots outstanding ! Semi auto Comes with extra barrell (full 2-3/4) Light use very good condition 28 - 12 ga Single Shot Paragon Model WS Has anybody ever worked up a load for .223 55 gr FMJBT using IMR4198? Following. [ARCHIVED THREAD] - 223 loads with IMR 4198. The accompanying data is intended for .223 Remington chamber dimensions and includes bullet weights ranging from 35 to 75 grains. The most accurate load I use for both of my bolt rifles (1/12 & 1/9 twist) is 20-21gr. CAN. You might be able to chamber that round in your bolt gun by forcing the bolt to close, but youll likely jam the action in an AR that the forward assist cant overcome. I have been looking for alternative powders, but soon everything could be gone. Never a problem. I had about 250 pieces of Lake City (LC) 5.56 NATO brass already prepped and ready to load. (pushing 68gr BTHP's) I was using H335 for the 55gr bullets (around 22gr). I would consult your Hornady manual and the IMR reloading database on their website and compare the load data, and use the loads listed for 55gr .223 for all of your brass. Shoots great in 3 different bolt rifles. I scale my charges most of the time. Then back to a (published here) max load of 4227 for 300 gr jacketed bullets. 275 grain bullet with 78 grains of IMR 4198 300 grain bullet with 75 grains of IMR 4198 IMR-8208 XBR yields excellent accuracy with 69s or 77s. Keep up the good work IMR. lol. Around 2007, when the exchange rates strongly favored Australia over Canada, Hodgdon started selling an Australian-made version of H4198 as IMR-4198. Other bullets are designed to decrease drag and help extend the effective range of the cartridge, making them better choices for bucking wind and hunting in open country. In 1990, the Hornady XTP (which stands for Extreme Terminal Performance) won the industry's Product. Ive had good luck using the RCBS crimp remover tool mounted on the companys powered case-prep center. Remember, I am talking about bolt rifles. If a magnum primer is used, such as the Federal 205, Remington 7 or CCI 450, it may be necessary to reduce maximum loads, as this small change will increase pressures. . Have not got a chance to shoot this powder yet but I do have a bunch of charges weighed up and I must say while weighting it out the consistency of the powder looks great. A lot of you are out there, and I, myself, fell into this category not so long ago. Can't imagine the 223 would be much different. Hello guys and thanks for the replys. I found a pound in my stash. Just make sure you use IMR data not H data as these are not the same powders. 0000009251 00000 n I also built some specialty 223 Rem. The kernels were shortened to improve metering and necessary elements were added to make it insensitive to hot or cold temperatures. Big difference between the accuracy needed for 300 yard P-dog shots and across-the room HD shots. Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. When i pick up the handle it wants to cut the powder, i relieve the preasure on the handle a couple of times and it will work it's way threw. While .224-inch thick bullet selection for the .223 Remington is broad and typically ranges in weight from 35 to 90 grains, terminal performance varies. Model : UPC : 754486053066. 19.5 gr. of IMR-4198. . Just a note that if you research using IMR or H4198 you will find it's the most problematic powder for reloading AR's. Benelli Lupo Bolt-Action Rifle Line Expanded with New Chamberings, Strasser RS 14 Evolution Consul III Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. ]/S2 YeWB4b.h^$gs:DEYxj*QKihk:I"NIGTpc=MC}S2IjSi8oo;aIf"! Another one is IMR 4198 (21.6gr.) All I have left for .223 is some IMR 4198 until my backordered 748 ships. Sierra Pro-Hunter 150 gr. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools" The Apostle Paul in Romans 1:22. Introduced in 1965 with the .444 Marlin cartridge, the Model 444 was the most powerful lever action of its day. It worked fine. We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. 0000012032 00000 n A ball powder is superior in such applications over a stick powder. Extremely versatile powder . many years ago long before I had any interest in AR-15s, has reams of 223 Rem. There is some people that might give you info that is not any good! I had some, didn't like it. All RifleShooter subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Ordered this to reload 444 marlin. Although if I were to reload for a AR. I do use IMR 4198, but in 45-70 gov't. I use both IMR and h-4198 at the same charge weight, 21 grain's with a 55 gr bullet with tight shooting groups. I have done a search here and have read everything I can find on Google, but most of the responses seem to be something like, "4198 will work, but there are better powders out there". JavaScript is disabled. It was very clean burning and did not gunk up the gas tube, leading to the original reputation that the rifle was extremely reliable and really didn't need cleaning. I have a hand throw Hornady powder measure and it doesn't meter well. My RCBS powder measure hates this stuff. It has a perfect burning rate for the .222. attentiveness vs attention imr 4198 for 223 bolt action. Savage Arms Inc. bolt-action rifles produced since November 1, 1995, including the Axis, Models 10, 11, 12, 16, etc., have been fitted with 1:12, 1:9 and 1:7 twists, though it seems that of late the company has settled on the 1:9 twist as standard. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. 0000023828 00000 n 4198 with a 55 gr. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Does not meter well from my XL650, but I check every charge by hand anyway. This has shot one hole groups for years. Will buy more when its available. Its performance approached the .222 Remington Magnum (center) introduced in 1957. trailer << /Size 86 /Info 51 0 R /Root 54 0 R /Prev 76483 /ID[<8a45f2eb061f912c269257afb89d4f83>] >> startxref 0 %%EOF 54 0 obj << /Type /Catalog /Pages 50 0 R /Metadata 52 0 R >> endobj 84 0 obj << /S 81 /Filter /FlateDecode /Length 85 0 R >> stream Doing some load development for the Savage Axis 223. | It appears 4198 is not a good choice for AR type guns. I am using a 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullet with Sellier and Bellot small rifle primers. Do that by experimenting. I was down to the bottom of the can of my old supply and was very happy to be able to get a new supply from you. It's a very versatile powder with many applications. THANKS FOR THE GREAT PRODUCT AND SERVICE. (it's been suggested these are Nosler over-run JSP slugs). 0000010557 00000 n 0000003089 00000 n For the reasons y'all posted above. Their was a run on powder and primers just like the old days during the ammo shortage. It worked great in my AR pistol but for the life of me I could not get it to cycle my rifle length gas system 18 AR rifle. I'm not a 223 shooter or owner however, with the two cartridges the 223 more less evolved from, the 222 Rem. So no metering problems. Starting at 20.7g, and going up in .5g i. Since you are already at max, I would back down to around 21.0 grains. Varmint shooters with small-bore cartridges love it. 0 $fGNV^fj2aKQ6AwJV0jt[+.7#F]QI',UB/=wQ};.yG44;}!G/2;'PsOsCd.Y+0A0q4Z'sYOa(ZTC|0Yv E\n.iI. Never used it, don't know much about it. This article is intended for handloaders who have experience reloading for their bolt-action rifles and now want to handload for an AR-style semiautomatic rifle. In my Savage 10FP 1-10" twist my go to load is the 52 gr SMK with 19.8 gr of 4198 . The gas port in a piston-operated AR is also fixed but may incorporate a size adjustment feature. . It quickly outsold the .222 Remington and the rather new .222 Remington Magnum, causing those two cartridges to quickly fall from popularity. It worked great. Because burning propellant has only one purpose in a bolt gunto propel the bullet out of the barrel. This powder works well in both semi-auto and bolt action rifles. When you get over 300gn I shoot 70-73gn of H4198 and will try H322 and IMR 3031 today. Results for the 150 gr. However, I can come close to the published maximums in any of my rifles, even the 26" barreled M-70. I worked up to this charge as should you! , I found that after trying 3 powder choices that 4198 was very accurate and very very clean shooting. The .223 Remington is America's favorite cartridge according to rifle and ammunition sales. Both are in the 24 - 25gr range. . Rick, Your 24.7gr of H4198 with the 39 & 40 is 2.2 gr more powder than Hodgdon recommends for the 33gr bullet. Pressure tested at 55,000psi as per Hodgdon's Manual 2004. IMR4198 and a 52gr. Ive walked the walk, and now I want to share what Ive learned. Mag, IMR-4198 was pretty much the go to powder for a couple decades. AR15.Com reserves the right to overwrite or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with our own. Trying out Varget and. I received the IMR 4198 powder I ordered quite quickly and well packaged. I'm not a 223 shooter or owner however, with the two cartridges the 223 more less evolved from, the 222 Rem. We continue to prioritize our shipments to our traditional sales channels to maximize powder availability at retailers. Most of my children started hunting deer and antelope with the .223 and have shot dozens of deer. It is also outstanding in cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 7.62 X 39. Happy to find it in stock!

Flight Physician Jobs, Borgia Descendants Today, Orpington Police Station Telephone Number, Articles I

imr 4198 for 223 bolt action

imr 4198 for 223 bolt action