They use the clearing to get back and forth between the ag-fields and the hardwoods., Settle got to work setting up mineral and food plots and installing several permanent stands. Kline hunts Sandusky County, Ohio, which is located in the northwestern region of the state. I felt like my dad was with me like an angel on my shoulder, he says. On opening afternoon, the buck walked in front of Deckards fathers hunting blind, but he wasnt there to kill it. Congrats on the once-in-a-lifetime hunt, Blake. Deer. It was kind of dumb for a deer this big, but people would see him every day, either morning or evening.. Features quick-change barrel system. Browning Ammunition has two big-game hunting loads new for 2023 that are effective on a wide range of species: the Max Point and Silver Series. He has double drops that are huge. The NWTF is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. This year, while Saturday's number of 20,263 was lower, hunters made up for that on Sunday with 12,126 deer harvested, for a total of 32,389. The 360 Buckhammer cartridge is designed for lever-action rifles and will be available in two Remington Core-Lokt loads. On the afternoon of opening day, Beach climbed into his treestand and settled in for his hunt. After she passed away, he quickly picked up the 5-acre lot and moved his family into a two-story log home on the property. He hoped the buck might return in camera photos, but he knew in his gut that wasnt likely to happen. LIMESTONE COUNTY, AL (WAFF) - In November, a Limestone County man illegally killed a 25-point deer on private property. We observed a 2% increase from the 2018-19 season (145,745) and the 2019-20 season is 11% above the 10 year average (133,524). Ever since we started hunting Sasquatch, my dad would say, If we ever kill him, we are getting a picture in front of that sign.. I initially didnt believe it, but she sent me a picture and sure enough they were his. Kirkpatrick says he rarely hunts in September, though he does when the weather feels like October. By mid-October, he was gone. Joe Lacefield accomplished both simultaneously. This year he decided to Sign in to access your profile, save content and more. FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) A Kentucky coal miner died Saturday in an accident at an underground mine, authorities said. That started the process, and they followed the trail for about 150 yards before recovering the buck. Date of Kill: Aug. 22, 2021. 1:07. The deer started out as a main-frame 8-pointer, but sported a shiny sticker, too. Settle steadied the bow. His window was narrow, too: Shortly after shedding its velvet, the buck always departed Lacefields hunting grounds. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Kline hunts Sandusky County, Ohio, which is located in the northwestern region of the state. About 300 yards away, in the corner of a soybean field south of me, the light shined on his rack right when I was looking that way. That would be the only time Kline ever spotted the buck from the stand. Browning Ammunition has two big-game hunting loads new for 2023 that are effective on a wide range of species: the Max Point and Silver Series. Whether you hunt or not, you take notice of an animal like that, Lindsey continued. Womack's buck will certainly be close, but he'll have to wait another 59 days to get an official Boone & Crockett measurement. Put in his scenario, we would have done the same thing. I got out of the tree and slowly walked over to Sasquatch. Kline hoped for the best, but expected the worst. CX Outfitter, 180 gr. It was amazing to have this experience with my family; it was a day I will never forget. He quickly recognized the big typical, and watched as it walked all the way to within 15 yards. After lunch, he settled in and waited for deer to begin moving. Why don't you come out and sit the rest of the hunt with me?". At SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. What is the most dangerous animal in Kentucky? Settles biological father, Terry, passed away earlier this year. This buck was killed yesterday in Richmond in front of Krogers. Its a thick, secluded creek bottom.. Both bucks walked to within 18 yards, and Taylor took the shot. It was hard. ), It took me a long time to get over to the deer, he says. After that season, he decided to focus all his energy on hunting that deer. I mean, these guys are so tricky and sneaky.. Reflecting back on his many years of pursuing this deer has been bittersweet. We finally got a picture of him, and he blew up that year into a 180-inch 15-point. I was bringing him along for the ride. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Settle says the impressive whitetail has at least 57 scorable points and rough-scored it at 289 5/8 inches B&C. Needless to say, LBL is not for the faint of heart. I was going really slowly. Big, heavy, long-beamed bucks are the stuff of dreams, but Logan Beach experienced the real thing on opening day this year. "When a deer of this magnitude is killed, especially when I immediately have . That was four years ago. He thought it probably had a 14 or 16 point rack. The genetic potential is there, the nutrition is there, and hunters have been practicing Quality Deer Management. Casey Reed had photos of one particular buck on his farm from the past three seasons, and this year he hoped to tag the 5 -year-old giant. Though Settle didnt post the buck on social media, he immediately sent the photos of his trophy to his stepdad. Mel's Perfect 66 Illinois deer scored 204 inches. 2:33. I knew this would mean a lot to him. I rarely hunt with a firearm.". Learn more in the video above, with Remington's Joel Hodgdon and Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. That's the second big deer killed in that area, we're they are doing construction across from kroger,. Features quick-change barrel system. When a deer of this magnitude is killed, especially when I immediately have calls coming to be conflict, the red flags do go up and we do investigate when big deer are killed, senior conservation law enforcement officer Joe Lindsey said. 8,446. Marlin is back in the game with the re-introduction of the classic 336 and 1894 lever-action hunting rifles. His rack was just the icing on the cakeitll never happen again to me.. 3,757 likes. He went to the point of impact and found bright red, bubbly blood. For any game and fish questions or reports call 1(800)272-GAME. By summer 2020, we had several more pictures of him, and Sasquatch continued to grow. I wasnt really getting many pictures of him, though, and my only good chance to kill this deer was during the rut, Kline says. "When I reached for my bow, the deer jolted about 35 to 40 yards into the bean field and stopped on a dime. Hope that's not the case cause I would like to see some better pics of it. He was laying right where I thought he would be, which is kind of crazy, Kline says. Wish someone had some better pics. After finding the buck, a game warden arrived to check everything out. He especially didnt expect it to happen during his first year on a new farm. We had kept Sasquatch a secret from almost everyone; even our closest friends had no idea we were hunting this buck. EDITORS NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. That was, until the 2021 Kentucky deer quota hunt at LBL. I found a stand I really liked, cleaned up the area around it and placed a camera two weeks before the hunt. "I had never taken a buck with my bow before and was strongly considering taking this shot. Ruger's popular American bolt-action rifle has been a hit with hunters for years. It stretched the tape to 179 inches. I had no shot whatsoever.. Among the accomplishments includes the recently concluded Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt initiative, which in 10 years conserved or enhanced 5.3 million acres of critical wildlife habitat, recruited 1.5 million new or lapsed hunters, and opened new access to 750,000 acres for hunting and recreation. The buck was spending most of his time on 20 of their 200-plus acres. In the above video, NWTF's Jason Burckhalter talks about the group's accomplishments and future plans with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. | Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. Before we interviewed Settle, we confirmed with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that the buck had been checked in as being killed and tagged in Kentucky on telecheck. His second shot struck true. I was just elated with joy. Kansas bowhunter Brian Butcher couldnt believe his eyes when a monster whitetail snuck into sight in the eastern part of the state on October 10, 2019. Give a Gift He had never seen an animal quite like this one beforeand neither had the rest of the world. It was showing up regularly and seemed very huntable. Currently, I'm filming for Kentucky Afield TV and have been since 2016. This amazing story chronicles the life of a giant whitetail deer Don named "Mel" after Mel Johnson's world record typical whitetail deer. Oklahoma's bow hunters have killed some big bucks already this young archery season, but perhaps the most impressive so far has been Johnny Maxwell's 28-point whitetail from Stephens County. He didnt disappoint On November 4 at 6:40 p.m., Dustin Huff of Greensburg, Indiana, shot a caliber of whitetail that normally only occupies a hunter's dreams. Buy License; Hunt; Wildlife; Fish; Boat; Education; Law . I've seen some biggins in the middle of Frankfort. Eventually he found waterfowl hunting, which has consumed his time in recent years, but he finds his way back to the deer woods every season. I thought, Thats not a rack. In the above video, NWTF's Jason Burckhalter talks about the group's accomplishments and future plans with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. I debated. Jamison Standard started getting trail-camera photos of a huge buck just a week before deer season and started scouting diligently to try and determine a pattern. Story is that someone cut it;s head off and left before the F&W guys arrived. Strutter. He just popped up out of nowhere, Settle says. ELD Match, and 175 gr. Stephen Tucker killed the deer in Sumner County, TN. It worked out, though. Sage Marshall Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller gets more info from Hawke's Paige Shipe at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. He knew it was a big buck, but he wasnt certain that it was Sasquatch. Hiking, biking, fishing and small game hunting are all very popular. We spent a lot of time out in the woods together growing up. Kline had years of trail camera photos, and a decent idea of how to kill the buck. Available in 180- and 200-grain sizes. Records of North American Whitetail Deer is available for $60 on the Boone and Crockett Club's website; B&C Associates receive a 20% discount. Kentucky hunter Daniel Deckard didnt expect to start his deer season with an injury, but thats exactly what happened. But on Sunday morning it was just me and Dad. He had a few stands throughout the farm. We found one of his sheds in late January and looked for the other side all spring with no luck. Four of the county's 11 biggest deer were shot during the past five seasons. Your honesty about the situation is more impressive than this genetic freak's antlers. Here are a handful of the best velvet bucks to come out of Kentuckys 2021 bowseason. The timber dropped off into a drainage about 60 yards away. There are some giants out there especially the 300" deer at the end of this video. But now that I actually have him at home, its crazy. Each photo should be accompanied by the county, date, and approximate time of kill. All Rights Reserved. I looked up at Dad and with tears in our eyes we went crazy, and we said a prayer thanking God for this opportunity. The new 7mm Precision Rifle Cartridge from Hornady is available in three loads (160 gr. It stretched the tape to 179 inches. He just disappeared, Settle says. His desk-mate was a mounted warthog. Story is that someone cut it;s head off and left before the F&W guys arrived. It all happened within three minutes. Gov. Its a natural corridor. Key features include muzzle velocities of 2,215-2,400 fps. Miss a Deer? I looked around a little bit and something caught my eye. ELD-X Precision Hunter). Which begs the question: Why arent more bird hunters using them? The Model 336 is expected to be launched soon; the Model 1894 should launch this spring. Kline had never killed a deer that big. It was on Sept. 4 when Jamison Standard and Casey Reed tagged two of the biggest deer from opening day. Aug 20, 2007. Ryan Mattingly spends a lot of time chasing whitetails. Clark's huge buck carried 23. Read Next: 10 Amazing Photos of a Buck Shedding Velvet. Ultimately, Jacob scored with a rifle during a quota hunt in November. The buck was bedded down. 02:00. Its like living out a dream from when I was little.. You are using an out of date browser. Although the story didnt end the way Kline had hoped, at least he found closure, and the 233 7/8-inch rack to remember the buck and all the seasons spent chasing it. Spot and range targets without wasting valuable seconds switching between gear with Luepold's new rangefinder binocular, the BX-4 Range HD. Jason Kline has spent much of his life chasing whitetail deer. He was by far the smartest deer we have ever pursued. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. A couple hours later, he and his father recovered the buck 90 yards from where Mattingly had shot the big velvet buck. More than 300,000 Hoosiers are sitting in their deer stands, looking for their dream buck this hunting season. His story started several years ago, when a big 9-pointer graced his trail cameras. By mid-October he was gone again, so we started scouting the area with cameras trying to find him. So, just from knowing the property, I thought that there would be one particular place where a big deer might go to die. Keith Srakocic AP. If you took you vacation every year Nov. 9-12, youre in best window for big bucks moving in day. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. Dr. James Kroll and Haynes Shelton explain why it's important to know your neighbors when operating a smaller deer property. Conservation officers said if you see something, say something. Many deer end up bedding on the end of big ridges, which are everywhere, and this makes it difficult to pattern them. It truly felt like I was supposed to be in that stand.". He had 15 scorable points, and he would still score over 200 inches. Settle says the. The illegal killing of a trophy deer in Northern Kentucky led to the arrest of a hunter, Kentucky officials said. Stan Potts heads to Montana with his rifle in search of a Big Sky buck. We loaded him up and took him to the Golden Pond check-in station. Around 6:15 p.m., a small, 6-point buck walk through behind them. I drive down the bypass all the time and me and my cousin once counted 10 in that grew up ditch at one time. At that point, he could tell it was a good deer. Of the elk harvested, 21,000 were bulls. He would make a great first buck with my bow.". That was also when we finally had a daylight picture of him, making us think this could be the year. Almost anyone can hunt LBL, all you need is your statewide hunting license, tags and an LBL user permit. Were trying to get the full story. For Release: Friday, April 23, 2021. Even if he can't reach the Hanson or Johnson buck, Womack will likely beat the current Oklahoma typical record of 194 inches. The non-typical green scored 211 and was the largest buck by far taken by Maxwell in his 40-plus years of deer hunting. We are still blown away that we killed Sasquatch. Kirkpatrick immediately called his friends: Chase Geary, who shot a 167 4/8-inch deer earlier in the season; Nick Huff, who's shot plenty of mature deer; and Jake Peveler, someone who knew the land well. Hundreds of deer have been killed to slow a contagious and incurable disease in Idaho, wildlife officials said. The problem? Lacefield slowly drew back. In fact, the closest game farm is nearly 10 miles away from where he arrowed the whitetail. The whole crew was there to celebrate their collective accomplishment, and one that was years in the making. A week later we went back to check the cameras and there he was: Sasquatch in daylight. Dustin Huff found one, hitting a record-setting buck with his crossbow. Settle immediately felt confident about his shot placement. I had an incredible year in 2021, from my dad and I taking trophy-class mule deer on a DIY public land hunt in Wyoming, to killing a buck of a lifetime near home. In December of 2019, it happened while Kline was there. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Shortly after, some young bucks walked through. We have big deer here in north Alabama, that is a big deer anywhere in the country, Lindsey said. I think Herman was already dead by the time I killed mine.. Geo resource failed to load. Joe Lacefield's velvet monster green-scored 179 inches. The afternoon before the opener, he glassed a large soybean field and spotted the giant, plus a 150-inch buck and others, as they walked out into the open. The arrow struck true, and the deer ran for cover. When the buck walked through an opening, and the younger Deckard shotand missed. Mike Clerkin heads to the legendary Buffalo County, Wisconsin, in search of early season whitetail action. He was real broken up last year, but we knew if he could make it through the winter that he would be something special. Six weeks before the opener, he fell from a 12-foot ladder stand, and broke or fractured his wrists, ribs, and ankles. Hell of a buck. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. He decided crossbowhunting was the only option to hunt this giant deer this fall. Subscriber Services. It was cloudy and cool on Sept. 5. "I ventured away from deer hunting because of my passion for waterfowl hunting, but there's nothing like harvesting a buck with a bow. Eventually, the buck he was hoping to see walked into the clearing, and Beach took the shot. Andy Beshear told . So while Keatings buck wont be immortalized in North Americas big game books, it will give him a freezer full of red meat and a trophy on the wall hell never forget. He decided it was worth checking out and that he still had plenty of time for a stalk. We continued to run cameras to prepare for the quota hunt. Gordon Whittington heads north to his personal Missouri farm for some crossbow action. Standard took a deep breath, drew his bow and took the 40-yard shot, hitting the buck square in the vitals. Each year the buck packed on more antler growth, but Lacefield couldnt get within range for a shot. Having disappeared from cameras during the heart of hunting season, its possible that another hunter wounded Herman. However, after now reading Facebook comments and seeing photos of his deer that were posted on the page of an Indiana deer preserve, one thing is clear: Someone is not telling the truth. We hunted and ran cameras all fall and never saw him. Robert Koch, 58, faces multiple charges after he was accused of lying about. Everything in my body at that moment wanted to give up, he says. Stan Potts doubles down in Montana and Wyoming. Taylor knew it to be a great staging area before deer head out to feed in the soybeans. Harvest Results by Weapon. Deciding on a particular area, he settled into the stand on a 50-acre soybean field surrounded by woods, with a food plot located between the crops and timber. That isnt the area of Ohio thats best known for big deerthe southern third of the state is more often recognized as monster buck countrybut dont tell that to Kline who recently picked up Hermans 233 7/8-inch rack. None of them fully spooked, but they didnt like what they saw, either. Both bucks were 100% free-range, but the answer is a bit more complicated for this next whitetail. Speaking of city deer is that fort Mitchell deer still kickin. On our way back to the truck one day, we came across a scrape at the bottom of a really steep drainage. After our interview with Settle, we were confident that his story was true. "I killed him at five paces," he said, from a portable stand about 25 feet high in a tree. "My heart started pounding," Reed said. Hes so much bigger in person. Whitt. Then, the buck started to turn. seizing and destroying hunter-killed deer brought in . Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. So, on opening weekend, he moved in and hunted along a promising ridge line. Hope everyone gets to. Biggest bucks Ive ever seen were in the middle of Louisville. Give a Gift Its a moment that will be very hard to top and a memory that will last a lifetime. The broadhead struck true, and the giant bolted for cover. The buck ran a short distance and tipped over. He was very visible. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Zoe Yujnovich Shell Salary, Did Tony And Angela Ever Sleep Together, Tacoma Rainiers Player Salaries, Articles B

biggest deer killed in kentucky 2021

biggest deer killed in kentucky 2021