Pamela @ Reverie Society Educates! Publishers are more likely to accept your requests if your bio shows them how youll publicise their book and increase the outreach of the novel, rather than some spiel about who you are and what you like. Booksellers can add their ABA member ID number to their NetGalley profile. Last time, we talked about when you should start requesting ARCs (advance reader copies) at all, and today? What Are Linkups All About? Provide links to your preferred platforms Everything you could possibly want to know about using NetGalley, youll find right here in this post. And I just requested stuff and eventually got my first approval. Typos and links that arent working can be a sign of a lack of attention to detail, so be sure to give your Bio a final proofread every time you update it. Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media reach, is helpful for publishers. I know my Profile needs some sprucing up and your comments really are very useful. Sorry mods if this isn't allowed! However, if this is your goal, know that it will take some time (months or even years) to establish yourself as a reliable, auto-approval-worthy reviewer. Many of these reviewers are experienced professionals such as journalists, bloggers, and educators. Include information about how you use books (and audiobooks) from NetGalley in your classroom. This isnt the best statement to lead with if youre trying to convince a publisher to give you a digital galley. Reading Habits You can either Review or Give Feedback. , No worries, Im glad it was useful for you . Do: Talk about your member type Despite the vastness of the NetGalley community, these other sites are much better-known mainstream hubs. Check out this post for examples of what they want, and the level of quality you should aspire to in your own reviews. There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. Which is why Im not going to just give an example of my profile. It can be tempting to share information about yourself that you think might help your Profile stand out to publishers, but your linked blog and social media channels are the best way to show off your vibrant personality. I will happily listen to any advice any of you have to offer! Edit: putting Self or N/A under company is totally fine. I hope youre doing okay. Waterstones:Once published, I will post my reviews to the Waterstones website.. Great advice as always, Zuky. Review Macmillan. If youre a Reviewer, clearly state where your reviews appear. Publishers are looking for thoughtful, professional reviewers and your Bio is the first taste of your writing that they get. Maintaining the 80% feedback ratio can also get pretty tiring, especially if you already have a busy schedule. Become an influencer in your genre and grow your following. Profile Picture OMG, This is wonderful! I have been trying to make my profile stronger. Are you a blogger? Takes 30 seconds! When youre ready to request a title, click the green Request button next to the book in question. Hey, I come from both sides of the perspective, as a reviewer and as an author who hands out ARCs on Net Galley. When a publisher looks at your Profile, they can already see all of the Categories that youve selected (under the About You tab), so theres no need to list them again in your Bio. Do you review audiobooks as well as print/e-books? This helps to ensure youre sharing the most accurate information about your job, social media statistics, and reading preferences. (I believe its only a matter of time though. You can find a specific publishers Approval Preferences on their. (LogOut/ Also, do you go by total amount of followers or specifically WordPress? Thanks and yes, they dont really give you much of an indication of what you should put in the bio! This is what comes up: Youve already filled out the overview before, so now just head onto theLinks section and add your social media! And while this doesnt mean you need to be a seasoned reviewer to sign up, you may still want to build your portfolio a bit first (more on that later). Your reviews and feedback are essential to publishers, authors, and other readers! var elem = document.querySelector('form#wpdiscuz-subscribe-form'); , Really useful Zuky no wonder you get approvals all the time , Thanks Nicki and hmm yes maybe Maybe I need to change it so I get declined more because god knows I need to shorten my NG shelf lol, This is so helpful, my bio is crap! Add your school's website. As for the profile text itself, you can keep it the same as NetGalley! Good luck with getting book freebies! A friendly space for all horror, mystery & speculative fiction lovers. (LogOut/ Consider setting a reading challenge for 2023 that has nothing to do with a number, such as writing a review for every book you read, starting a social media channel (such as a Bookstagram account, Booktube channel, blog, or BookTok) to share your recs, or joining a book club. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Book Blogger Etiquette: How To Get Comments? You can read. Theirs is long. If you post reviews on your website or blog, indicate which is the primary place you . Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Below youll find tips sure to help whether youre a NetGalley newbie or a long-time member whose Profile needs a fresh look. Ive had an account but had NO idea how to set it upepic fail. ): The Edelweiss profile has some minor differences. That does not affect my opinion or the review in any way. Thanks for the insight! In Edelweiss, you can also specifywhy you want the book or why youre a good candidate for reviewing it, which can help! Nicole has blogged about starting out on NetGalley before and you should also read that post for further info! Nicole @ FYFA To The Rescue! Now lets talk about whats expected of you as a reviewer. Try to stick to 3-5 authors to keep things simple. On the note of scrambling, another separate-but-related point for reviewers is to not request too many books at once. Thanks so much for this! When she's not working, Kelly can be found color coordinating her bookshelves, eating Chipotle, and watching way too many baking shows. There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. you can select the Categories you cover in your role as a professional reader. Publishers can see which genres you prefer to read and review, and by also sharing your favorite authors, you can help provide an even better understanding of the types of books within those genres you most enjoy. Once confined to print newspapers and journals, reviews now dot many corridors of the Internet forever helping others discover their next great read. Increase the visibility and value of your reviews, and make your review process more efficient, by connecting your account to your blog and social platforms. All Rights Reserved, 2010-2019 NetGalley LLC. } Plus, set a recurring reminder for yourself to update those stats on a regular basis (monthly, quarterly, etc). I use NetGalley and have gotten 85 books (not all romance) but I think I've been rejected for every direct request I've made. Your Profile includes a section titled Where I Share Reviews. This is a crucial place to provide links to any websites or social media where you share your book reviews, the media outlets where you cover books, or the bookstore, library, or school where youre employed. I havent done much with my bio since I first joined, and its not very good. Is there any reason you don't leave reviews on GR for those less than 4 stars? What You Need to Know Before You Open a NetGalley Account Mine shows 351 but technically only 136 are from WordPress. To maximize your chances of picking up good titles right off the bat, theres one thing you need to do: write some other stuff before you join. Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! requests a title from a publisher via Netgalley, that publisher has to go through by hand and approve each request. Think about your Profile like a resume, and keep your Bio professional and succinct. Happy Endings guaranteed. Youll still have to go through the anxiety-inducing request process every time, and some people may take weeks to respond. Twitter:I use Twitter to post my book reviews, share bookish news and support other book bloggers. When you request books on NetGalley, publishers will see the ABA logo near your name, allowing them to easily identify you as a confirmed ABA member. Details About Your Member Type (My first one was from Berkley (publisher), and I love them, so I was excited.) Imagine you are a busy publicist. Your reviews can help an unknown author find their audience. So following all that, the question is: should you sign up to NetGalley as a reviewer? Im not sure on a picture, I would guess it does help a little. Everyone has influence. When she's not working, Kelly can be found color coordinating her bookshelves, eating Chipotle, and watching way too many baking shows. I also enjoy Historical Fiction, Sci-fi, Dystopian and Short Stories.. 10 Things You Should Include in Your NetGalley Profile Those are all things that should be included in your Netgalley profile, and which will encourage publishers to think, THIS is the kind of person I want to have reading our advance digital galleys.. Glad its fixed though. Here are a few Dos and Don'ts for your NetGalley profile, and 10 Things You Should Include in Your NetGalley Profile -- brought to you by We Are Bookish, NetGalley's editorial blog for members. We feel that everyone should love to read, and that that would make the world a better place. Which makes sensepublishers can afford to give out digital ARCs a lot more freely than physical ARCs. Booksellers who enter their ABA numbers are generally approved more quickly and often (including being auto-approved). So as a reviewer, you might be a blogger, consumer reviewer, book trade professional (like an agent), or traditional reviewer who works for a publication. Basically the only place my book love exists is Goodreads, where I have like 3 friends and substandard reviews because I was only really doing it for me before. Make sure your profile is up to date. How Do I Make A Good Edelweiss Or NetGalley Profile? In the Account Security section of your profile, youll find the email address associated with your account. Set your own deadline a week before the publication date if possible, so you wont be scrambling to write a review at the last minute. I actually I struggled when I first decided to get on board with netgalley because I had no idea what to put on my bio I have something similar but in a much smaller scale I still get denied a lot of times but also approved!! A lot of the time, this is a really easy decision! How to Write a Short Professional Bio (Templates & Examples) I don't give an ARC to people who write one-line reviews. Ive been wondering how I should update my profile since I started a blog. Just wish I was still there sunning myself haha. (Dont always 100% achieve but I hope it shows good intentions). When you go to fill out your Profile, you can select the Categories you cover in your role as a professional reader. As for authors and publishers, there is an actual monetary cost. Finding Your Beauty Queen Dumplin by Julie Murphy, 5 Feel Good Books For When You Have The Lonelies, but you still want to see how many followers the blog has. Links Sorry for the slow reply to this, I always just copy and paste exactly! Your Bio - Think about your NetGalley Profile like a resume. I am starting to post my book reviews on Netgalley, but Im noticing that they arent separating into paragraphs and are just combining all togetherwhich looks ugly. When a teacher/librarian/bookseller/reviewer etc. I think they want you to have an 80% review rate? Dont: Forget to check publishers approval preferences It doesnt even have to be book reviews! Indicate if you are a member of a professional organization, such as a state or regional teacher's association. Im glad I could help! Publishers can see which genres you prefer to read and review, and by also sharing your favorite authors, you can help provide an even better understanding of the types of books within those genres you most enjoy. Read thread below. Including not-as-relevant things like that may just distract a publisher from the fact that you are in fact a person who should be given an advance review copy of their book especially if theyre getting 50+ review copy requests via Netgalley every day that they then have to go through one by one. Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Once youve selected all that apply, your request shoots off to the author or publisher. However, you also have to fill out your company (presumably helpful if you work in publishing or for a magazine/newspaper) and your role. Blogging Calendars. Netgalley is a site which is primarily used to get advance copies of books to industry figures so that they can take some action that will sell copies of a book when it comes out (like, writing a review that encourages people to buy books! Oh and another question: are the reviews you post the exact ones from your site or do you shorten them? But also don't do that BS marketing pitch fake sounding reviews. Edelweiss can be a challenge for some, cause its not simply a requesting platform its also a platform where book sellers get books and publishers release their upcoming books catalog! It was around this time that both self-published and traditionally published authors came to recognize the importance of reviews, especially of the very first write-ups that a book receives. As a reviewer, if you have a logo for your blog or social media profiles, you can use that as well. Dos and Don'ts for Your NetGalley Profile - Bookish So there is a little bit of guidance on how to write a Netgalley bio! Sign In to NetGalley | NetGalley Trust book recommendations from real people, not robots . Your email address will not be published. NetGalley reports are an incredibly useful tool for a publisher using the site. subheading="Find out the answer. Im updating my Netgalley right now. We think Netgalley is great! It appears that you are stepping up the type of graphic novels you publish. Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media following, is very helpful for publishers. I am frequently approved for ARCs and I think this is most likely due to my role as a librarian and person in charge of ordering books for my facility. Sorry for the late response Anne! Everyone who joins Netgalley has to put together a quick profile; its basically something that has a persons name and their description of why they should be given books. Short quiz about how much you actually know about requesting books! Independent authors can choose between two six-month promotional packages, priced at $450 and $849 respectively. While your Bio should be professional and succinct, your linked blog and social media channels are the best way to stand out and show off your vibrant personality. I need a bio. I currently have XXXfollowers. If youre an experienced reviewer, you likely know what it takes to be successful on a site like NetGalley, and have an advantage purely by virtue of your professional associations. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for book recs, interviews, and favorites from our editor. Ive been adding and changing bits ever since and now its pretty similar to yours. I love middle grade, womens, scifi and some literary too. No, but lets get serious here. Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. For Netgalley I suppose a follower count doesnt matter so much if you would prefer not to include it. We want to help NetGalley members craft the best reviews possible. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. ), Thanks and yes, thats something I need to do too , This is great! Now, we're taking a look at how to review our new favorite format: audiobooks! Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! Some publishers dont provide a lot of information either, so its been mostly guessing what they are looking for in general until my bio looked somewhat decent. I'm just setting up my profile and feeling a little lost since I don't know what to put for my "company" and definitely don't know what I should put in my Bio. Your Profile includes a section titled Where I Share Reviews. This is a crucial place to provide links to any websites or social media where you share your book reviews, the media outlets where you cover books, or the bookstore, library, or school where youre employed. thanks for the tips. This helps to ensure youre sharing the most accurate information about your job, social media statistics, and reading preferences. (I note that this is a really, really specific set of instructions that will definitely help you out with requesting any First Second requests; possibly not so much with other publishers, depending on their own policies.). Im sure you could sneak on there if you wanted , Nice post, thanks! Use NetGalley for free to request, read, and recommend digital review copies before they are published. Do you run a book club? Join For Free! Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. ), I had no idea there was an age thing?! All Rights Reserved. This is so helpful. Do you review audiobooks as well as print/e-books? Thanks! Join our powerful community to discover debut authors, future bestsellers, and indie favorites--and help books succeed. In general, getting approved for a book via NetGalley is much more likely than getting a physical ARC of that same book. Do I still need to include it in the bio? Well I hope this helps you out if you decide to update it! Marking that you listen to audiobooks or are a member of a book club helps ensure you get relevant promotional emailsincluding announcements of newly uploaded NetGalley books, limited time Read Now opportunities, and more. XD (But theres the age thing where you have to be eighteen but Im not but I know some people who are younger than 18 and are still on Netgalley??? Havent thought about my Netgalley bio in too long! if you are, I would maybe make a pledge to post reviews on Amazon as this may entice publishers to accept you more hope this helps! AvalinahsBooks receives books for free for review: Opinions are my own, but I sometimes get books for review in exchange for my opinion (for free). Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. I hope I can get that opportunity. I Give Feedback on everything else. I saw some people saying you can just have a Goodreads account and get approved. but I have about 4 friends on there and have only been using it for reviews kind of to myself, so not exactly quality. Cause Im going to cover the ways you can make your profile reflect that youre awesomesauce an amazing and responsible blogger who will surely fulfil the publishers needs! Write your reviews on both Net Galley and Goodreads. So if you want to get your hands or your eyes, rather on these in-demand digital galleys as a new reviewer, you need to do everything just right. Are you a member of an authors street team? That 80% figure is no joke; authors and publishers rarely approve reviewers with spotty feedback histories. the internet is wild, the book you rep is most likely just for one region, so seeing some follower regions couldnt hurt, it would be nice to see what books they typically review. If you are a bookseller, book trade professional, educator, librarian, reviewer, journalist or in the media, NetGalley is for you! If you dont have one handy, snap a quick shot of yourself and a favorite book! Now, I have heard that a lot of people do not get approved on Edelweiss! NetGalley reports are an incredibly useful tool for a publisher using the site. Netgalley is a book marketing platform through which authors and publishers pay to share proof copies of their latest books, prior to publication. Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media following, is very helpful for publishers. Make sure your links work. Now you can request books. We love to read ourselves! Do they champion a cause? Question: when you mention the stats for your WordPress account by month, how did you find that? https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/readnow Sometimes there are just samplers or previews of the first 4 chapters or so, which make for very fast reads. Book recommendations come in many forms, and its helpful for publishers to see if the books they approve you for may also end up in a listicle, Booktube video, Bookstagram picture, or more! . The two templates above serve only as a framework, so feel free to add or delete some sentences as you see fit. Thousands of authors and publishers use NetGalley, and hundreds of thousands of reviewers. document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => { I'm a Bookseller. What do you recommend for my Profile? - NetGalley Consider making it visible so that if publishers ever have a question or want to work with you on a specific campaign, they can reach out. You pick a book you like, you hit the button. This is very helpful! Ooh, this is awesome! And I just requested stuff and eventually got my first approval. NetGalley (@NetGalley) / Twitter [1] [2] Publishers that offer e-galleys include Hachette , HarperCollins Publishers , Penguin Random House , Simon & Schuster , and many others in the US , the UK , Australia . And you have to handle all of these book requests, that, honesly, probably just drain the life out of you, cause honestly, there are just so many bloggers, you sometimes just feel the publishing industry is sitting on a huge anthill. Librarians, booksellers, and educators: make sure to indicate if you are a member of any professional associations. (I read too many books and I forget what they are haha). document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2010-2023 NetGalley LLC. I also host State of the ARC and the #NewBloggers 101 guide. And youre done. NetGalley: The Ultimate Guide for Indie Authors - Novlr If you prefer, you can replace your name with an auto-generated alias displayed next to your reviews instead Adding ABA or BA membership numbers to an account If you have a blog or other form of bookish social media, talk about the type of content that you create. Im so excited to start using NetGalley! 6 of the Best Professional Bio Examples I've Ever Seen - LinkedIn Im getting my MLS now! or Im on the teen selection group at my local bookstore! or I have a blog that has 2,5000 followers!. From there youll be able to write a review, leave a brief opinion, or (in rare instances) note why you didnt finish the book. Also, try to review the ARCs you get on Goodreads as well! As with your preferred categories, it might seem like you should hedge your bets by going big, but its actually better to be selective yes, even as a new reviewer. Now, Im back to not having anything to read. This is especially true if you find yourself requesting books from the same publishers time and again. arent necessary. NetGalley was developed as an alternative to the production of paper galleys and has since evolved into a key marketing and publicity platform for publishers and authors. This is so helpful. Hopefully I will be able to add to my profile! A picture of yourself on your NetGalley Profile can help show your vibrant personality to publishers. So you want to move from Blogger to (free) WordPress? These roles include bookseller, educator, librarian, media, or reviewer; you can choose to provide more specific details as well. As for Edelweiss while it does not have a ratio as such, its still not good overloading yourself with books, as youll struggle and might even have to join myState of the ARC meme or #ARCsAnonymous group to keep up with your stack. Step 1. Even book-related information like the age you were when you first learned how to read, whether or not you read to your children, how big your book collection is, etc. , talk about the type of content that you create. Do: Share your favorite authors First, youll need to wade through a deluge of other titles some interesting, some not-so-much to prove youre a committed and high-quality reviewer. This site uses cookies. Any thoughts on how to get started or what to do? Try to stick to 3-5 authors to keep things simple. Im also experiencing a major change in my personal life that is the worst negative possible I suppose. I am retired, and live in a rural setting. I currently have XXXfollowers. As a reviewer, if you have a logo for your blog or social media profiles, you can use that as well. I am new to Netgalley, this helps a lot! Make sure youre opted into receiving those emails in the Account Security section of your Profile, under Subscriptions.. I find that the percentage of publishers accepting my requests are not very high, so I hope by improving my profile and making it look more professional Ill have better chances of getting more ARCs in the future , Good luck, I hope editing your profile bio helps get you a few more accepts on book requests!! Whats the thing you want to see? Bookstagram Myth: Props Are Expensive? Hello, thank you for this it is really helpful for anyone setting up a netgalley profile! Will you be writing any reviews (even just a few sentences?)

How To Remove Extra Space In Word Table, Shark Tank Cast Net Worth Australia, Articles N

netgalley profile example

netgalley profile example