The stadium's plumbing was not designed with NFL-sized crowds in mind, which became evident when a sewage issue overflowed the restroom facilities during its first game. So much fun that we did it again a few weeks later when The Eagles played there, Your email address will not be published. We drove up the night before and camped in the woods near the stadium, and went in as soon as the gates opened. But then on the horizon a helicopter circled the stadium 3 times. New . 4 days Left Los Lobos "Kiko Setlist" Signed By Original Band $400. I have pictures of the show which I can look at to help remind me what a crazy day it was. Like all of you I too was at this awesome show. That night was electric. I had to get home in Cambridge. As this week was winding down, Elton notified the band that he was taking a break from touring and the group soon disbanded. Mar 29, 2023 KISS August 29 th 1976 Braves Stadium Concert Poster $6. I love everyones recollection of this fabulous, historic event. It was a mob scene. By crossing over with Broadway scores such as The Lion King, the younger generation loves Elton too. Seen him a few times since and all were good, but not as electric as that 4th of July night. It was amazing, especially considering it was the first concert I ever went to. I was there too, and shared your experience to my Music and Record Sharing with Ron Oliveri page on facebookI posted my 74 program alsoI was from Brocktonso glad to share your article on my page! The Dave Matthews Band played seven shows at the stadium from 1998 to 2001. . This is my 2nd post , to give pause and reflect on how great and rather simple it was to enjoy things then. I wish we had photos of a night to remember! If you are interested please contact me at pgay@wiltonbulletin.com. [21] From 1983 through 1987, BC used Schaefer/Sullivan Stadium as an alternate home venue to host crowds larger than could be accommodated on campus at Alumni Stadium. Had great seats on the right side. I saw most of the concert and Ill never forget it. I took one of my best friends, Mike Napolitano, to the concert with me. Its seating capacity was inadequateonly about 40,000 for footballand many seats had obstructed views. = Team's stadium under construction or refurbishment at time 1 = A team used the stadium when their permanent stadium was unable to be used as a result of damage. I remember my brother lighting one of those when the lights went out and people held up lighters. One of my best memories from youth tickets, thank you cards, Asian dresser box, grad decor, flower holder bag and more. Schaefer Stadium hosted Elton John on July 4, 1976, as well as Boz Scaggs, The Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac on July 25, 1976. Most folks know the T stops running @ 1AM. I cant recall the name of the flight attendant, but she played a key role in how the story unfolds. Schaefer Stadium, Foxborough, MA, United States Jul 25, 1976 Fleetwood Mac Schaefer Stadium, Foxborough, MA - Jul 25, 1976 Jul 25 1976 Eagles Schaefer Stadium, Foxborough, MA - Jul 25, 1976 Jul 25 1976 Dave Mason Schaefer Stadium, Foxborough, MA - Jul 25, 1976 Jul 25 1976 Boz Scaggs Schaefer Stadium, Foxborough, MA - Jul 25, 1976 Jul 25 1976 As I just turned 20 & secured 2 tickets to this show, little did I know it would be something I would never forget ! The crowd went wild as he finished with three finales, Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, Your Song, and Pinball Wizard. What a show! I was so close I could reach out and touch his costume, if I dared, which I didnt. But again, no complaints: I am Feature Writer for EltonJohn.com and that does not suck! Then Elton arrived. Amazing isnt it how this one concert has impacted so many people. What an entrance. The concert was as historical as the date. Find the perfect peter guenter stock photo, image, vector, illustration or 360 image. I wish I could remember that portrait of Elton in the fireworks, but unfortunately, I dont. Mind-blowing! [6] In an early example of stadium naming rights being sold to corporations, the stadium was named after the . We arrived in the early afternoon & went in as soon as the gates opened. I wonder. For these shows, Elton and the band shared the stage with the New York Community Choir and performed encores with Kiki Dee, Alice Cooper and the drag queen, Divine. Thank you for sharing your story. We all celebrated our Constitution on that wonderful day 40 years ago, but now is the absolute time to take action to defend it and everything it stands for. Orthwein then put the team on the market, but the wording of the operating covenant required any potential buyer to negotiate with Kraft. Forsix seasons, 196368, the Patriots played in Fenway Park, home of baseball's Boston Red Sox. Billie Jean King sang backing vocals and Elton slipped Holiday Inn in to the 20-song set list, a unique event on this tour. Mike Thomas Required fields are marked *. '"[2], In the 1960s, before the rise of corporate concert organizers and ticket agents, top rated bands would often play for free (especially in San Francisco) or for amounts that resulted in reasonable concert ticket prices. After that summer I went off to college, Mark went back to high school and we never saw each other again. I was there as well. As the concert was ending, the roar of the crowd was deafening, and then we knew what all the scampering was about fireworks employees making last minute wiring checks because as the lights came up, the fireworks show started blasting all around us. The group had chartered a New York Airways 30 passenger Sikorsky s-61 helicopter for the round trip. alias Schaefer Stadium (1971-1982) . The Spirit of '76. I couldnt see when Elton took the stage and everyone stood up, so I ended up walking up to the stands by myself so I could see. Two words rapt amazement. Then in 1985 he met Ryan White and that courageous boy ignited a spark in Elton. It was the best years of my life, it was also the year my first baby was born to me and i will forever love her so much,even though I didnt get 1cheeseburger 1 piece of barbeque chicken. My friend Steve and I left plenty of time to catch the opening acts, thank goodness. Here are the latest developments in the tragic case. He announced beforehand that he wasnt feeling well, so I brought him a bouquet of yellow roses and plunked them on the stage the first night (I was sitting in the front row). Dont Let the Sun Go Down on Me $10 ticket to see one of the most memorable concerts of a lifetime. We enjoyed John Miles & Dave Mason from the far end of the field. Im 55 now but I often think back to when I was 16 and experienced one of the best days of my life.Every year when August 7th rolls around I look at the clock at 3:30 in the afternoon and can still hear the beginning chords of Grow Some Funk of Your Own. So glad to share this with you and others who were there! It was the FIRST concert I ever went to. What I remember most was the frenzy in the stadium waiting for his arrival and when he came out in a Statue of Liberty costume, the crowd went wild, then the music just kept it all going all night long. I couldnt believe it! All my family and friends heard me and my name for three days, and the phone rang off the hook at my house. My favorite Elton John program, from the 1974 tour featuring brilliant art by Jacques Benoit. You're not alone in this town. Eltons a billionaire because of the likes of me. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Additionally, the Sullivan family had lost millions promoting the Jackson Victory Tour in 1984. The stadium's former site became parking lots for its successor, Gillette Stadium, before being developed into the open-air shopping center Patriot Place. Mark and I went through all the Monty Python routines we knew and canoodled a little a bit throughout the day, which in hindsight was probably a bit rude to Paula. [17] After Sullivan went bankrupt and Robert Kraft purchased the stadium, Kraft stripped Sullivan's name and renamed the venue "Foxboro Stadium". The venue hosted numerous significant soccer matches, including six games in the 1994 FIFA World Cup. I was there too, 40 years ago today. Vladimir Beara arrive bientt au pays. Paulas dad waited for us outside the whole time. I have been a huge fan of Elton and his band members on that tour, in fact I just received a Hawaiian shirt from Sue Pope, (wife of the late great drummer Roger Pope) it was one of Rogers favorite shirt. I was ten years old and at first, my parents brought me and my older brother there just to listen outside the fence because we were huge EJ fans (thanks to our parents). They also played a three-night sold-out stand in May 1994 on their The Division Bell Tour which was recorded and readily available on bootleg. Then you heard someone count it off and they played Grow Some Funk of Your Own as the staged came from behind the curtain and moved to the front.The crowd roared and went wild. George on Pine Mountain in Georgetown (Redding), CT. George and Sharon, Id be interested in sharing your story. However, the concert was canceled after stadium officials refused to allow seating on the field to prevent damage to the new turf and Aerosmith would not play without fans on the field. I am not sure I have ever been more jealous of someone, before or since. Played his hits at the time including Lowdown and Lidoshuffle. Originally it was supposed to be Dave Mason that opened the show but it ended up being John Miles that came on about 12 noon. L'ancien gardien de but yougoslave et nouvel entraneur des Lions est ce qui peut arriver de mieux au jeune Thomas. The tix were outrageously expensive . $150. Wow, John, you definitely have me beat with your number of Elton concerts! U2 played on The Joshua Tree Tour on September 22, 1987, and later performed three nights of their Zoo TV Tour on August 20, 22, and 23, 1992. The 70s were the best times and every year around this time I think back at that fantastic bicentenial show of 1976. Construction work on, Former stadiums of the National Football League, Learn how and when to remove this template message, They Played at Four Different Stadiums In Their First 11 Years, "Riggins, Boozer Combine for 318 Yards; Jet Ground Game Crushes Patriots", "Shoulder May Keep Griese From Returning This Year", "Dolphins Have Few Problems in 20-3 Victory", "BC's Bombs Trip Up 'Soft Touch' HC, 21-7", "1971 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "1971 Holy Cross Crusaders Schedule and Results", "1975 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule and Results", "1975 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "1983 Penn State Nittany Lions Schedule and Results", "1983 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "BC Pounds Holy Cross, Expects New Bowl Foe", "Turnovers turn back Tide; BC finishes with 92 record", "1983 Alabama Crimson Tide Schedule and Results", "1984 North Carolina Tar Heels Schedule and Results", "1984 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "1984 Syracuse Orange Schedule and Results", "1985 Maryland Terrapins Schedule and Results", "1985 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "1985 Miami (FL) Hurricanes Schedule and Results", "1986 Penn State Nittany Lions Schedule and Results", "1986 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "1987 Penn State Nittany Lions Schedule and Results", "1987 Boston College Eagles Schedule and Results", "Before the Patriots played at Gillette Stadium", District of Columbia Stadium/RFK Memorial Stadium, Frankford High School's Community Memorial Stadium, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Foxboro_Stadium&oldid=1142726439, American football venues in Massachusetts, Buildings and structures in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, Demolished sports venues in Massachusetts, North American Soccer League (19681984) stadiums, 20th century in Foxborough, Massachusetts, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2015, Articles that may contain original research from August 2016, All articles that may contain original research, Articles with MusicBrainz place identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 4 March 2023, at 01:27. I met him to get his autograph after the show and I said to him. I was right up front when I was just seeing you with another friend on my shoulders trading time so we could have an awesome View and thats when crowd control why isnt an issue because we were inside what would be considered a mosh pit. Well always have these wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing Patricia. Elton was slipping down the rabbit hole. This was a serious life-changing moment and weekend. What a great experience! I was there too! You could hear the guitars and his piano being checked behind the curtain to make sure they were tuned and ready. Were same age with similar taste in music I feel. Although I didnt get to meet him, the 12 lucite platforms with goldfish in them that he had on backstage were amazing. Joe Sia photo. An audience of 53,000 people attended one of two concert dates. I had founded an Elton John Fan Club called SNAFF (Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting), and designed a T-shirt with Eltons birth name Reggie Dwight emblazoned on the front. Empty Sky Will we ever have anything like this again? It was our nation's Bicentennial celebration. As he started to sing I realized we were really far back from the stage. His music is timeless. It was the best Fourth of July ever. Davey Johnstone Electric guitars, banjo, mandolin, rhythm guitar, background vocals, slide guitar. Thanks for the link to your site Rich! His manager didnt see him as a big name anymore and was booking him into small venues. Home; About; Program; FAQ; Registration; Sponsorship; Contact; Home; About; Program; FAQ; Registration; Sponsorship . I went with my boyfriend I was almost 17. As a result, the stadium was not demolished until late January 2002, after the conclusion of the 2001 postseason. I remember thinking that after they cleared the stage after Dave that nothing was being set up for Elton and it would never get going. To those who love music . Its Elton-licious!!! What a wonderful memory Mike! The $2, [Commissioner of Parks August Heckscher] said, would have been 'too expensive for a lot of New Yorkers. I was 16 years old and got tickets for me and 4 other friends. So much fun Anna! There were vendors and people trying to sell t-shirts and programs. Ive seen some amazing concerts over the years and got some everlasting memories. We got to the stadium around 11 a.m., and didnt leave till midnight. This was back in the day before crowd control measures were implemented. Elton John Piano, Vocals I grabbed Paulas and like a bull, Mark stormed through that crowd, pushing people aside until we got to the very front of the stage. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is. Awesome concert. Last time I saw you was 37 yrs ago ! After only two years, Orthwein tried to move the Patriots to his hometown of St. Louis. Like you, this event was the thrill of a lifetime for me as well. My girlfriend and I hopped in her car, ran and got the tickets and drove there from Hyannis. Attending a concert along with parents with small kids is pretty unexpected, but cool nonetheless. One of the guards watched us outside the fence for about 15 minutes or so and then he opened the gate and let us in for free. The stage was placed in the "U" shaped part of the stadium and faced an area comprising 14,000 seats of the 30,000 plus seat structure. It was one of the best concert I ever saw the only other concert I saw a bed it was Pink Floyd The Wall at Nassau Coliseum and if anyone saw that theyll vouch for me thanks for the memory, I cant quite understand everything youre saying Mike but I totally concur with your first sentence! I think they gave us wristbands and the entire stadium section was filled with people waiting for tickets. [8] Foxboro Stadium was the last stadium where Diego Maradona scored a World Cup goal in a game against Greece, and where he last played in an official FIFA World Cup match against Nigeria on June 25, 1994. When the station called me to tell me that I had won two tickets to the concert, they taped the conversation, and played me screaming into the phone over and over again, twice an hour for the next 72 hours, as part of a commercial they ran (along with announcing the names of all ten winners). After off-loading the band, we parked outside the stadium and shut down to await the end of the concert. He said to me What took you so long ! Over the next several years, there were regular changes in the line-up but by 1975, a stable lineup emerged with Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, John and Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks becoming the core line-up of Fleetwood Mac. When the moment was right he ran onto the stage and jumped on his red , white and blue glittered piano.He had so much energy and was all over the stage when he could. Festival was due to take place at The Boston Arts Project in a loft over a bar at 1088 Boylston St. but it had lost it's license after a police raid five days before) March 6-8, 1969 The Boston Tea Party, Boston, MA (supporting Chicago) J.Geils Band March 14-15, 1969 Woodrose Ballroom, South Deerfield, MA (supporting The Velvet Underground) Now you can Crocodile Rock forever! Ive never been to a more exciting concert! I graduated from high school in 1976 and went to the concert with one of our teachers!!

List Of Approved Foreign Halal Certification Bodies Muis, Articles S

schaefer stadium concerts 1976

schaefer stadium concerts 1976